• The World Bank has appointed Auguste Tano Kouamé as the country director for India.
• He succeeded Junaid Kamal Ahmad (Bangladeshi economist), who has recently completed his term of five-year.
• He recently served as the country director of World Bank for Turkey.
• Earlier, he worked as the director of the department of human development and economic management in the World Bank Group’s Independent Evaluation Group (IEG).
• World Bank’s Chief Economist: Indermit Gill
Foot Notes: About World Bank: Headquarters: Washington, D.C., United States President: David Malpass Founded: July 1944
• During the four-day visit of Maldives president, Ibrahim Solih, India has inked six agreements to expand cooperation in several key areas.
• Six agreements were exchanged in areas including cyber security, disaster management, and infrastructure.
• PM Modi has also announced a Line of Credit of USD 100 million to Maldives for the completion of development projects on time.
• Both leaders have also embrace the launch of the Greater Male Connectivity Project funded by India.
Foot Notes: About Maldives: President: Ibrahim Mohamed Solih Capital: Maale City Currencies: United States Dollar, Maldivian rufiyaa
• Nexxbase-owned Noise , has roped in actor Vaani Kapoor as the brand ambassador of its upcoming smartwatch, X-Fit 2 series with the release of the #KeepGoing campaign.
• Last year, the company had announced a partnership with HRX, a fitness brand jointly owned by Hrithik Roshan and Exceed Entertainment.
• India’s wearable market saw double-digit growth in Q1 2022 with products crossing 13.9 million units, according to the International Data Corporation India.
• The IRDAI has revised the guidelines on the anti-money laundering rules and counter financing of terrorism programme for insurance companies.
• The rules issued to consolidate and update guidelines replace the assorted norms issued since 2013.
• No life, general, or health insurer can claim any relaxations to comply with the money-laundering rules, with effect from Nov 1, 2022.
Foot Notes: About IRDAI: Headquarters: Hyderabad Chairperson: Debasish Panda
• To commemorate the victory of the Indian Armed forces during the Kargil War, the Point 5140 at Drass in Kargil Sector was renamed as ‘Gun Hill’.
• The Regiment of Artillery, with lethal and accurate firepower, was able to have a telling effect on the enemy troops and their defences.
• On July 26, 1999, the Indian Army announced the success of ‘Operation Vijay’.
• Kargil Vijay Diwas observed annually on 26 July.
• Satyendra Prakash has been appointed as the principal director general of Press Information Bureau (PIB).
• Earlier, he served as the principal DG of Central Bureau of Communication (HQ: New Delhi).
• He has a wide range of experience in the field of public communication, media management, administration, policy formulation and programme implementation.
• He has also represented India in various national and international forums.
Foot Notes: About PIB: Formed: 1919 Headquarters: New Delhi
• SVC Co-operative Bank Ltd and Small Industries Development Bank in India (SIDBI) have entered into a partnership for empowering MSMEs.
• According to the agreement, SIDBI will extend refinance facility to SVC Bank to facilitate an improved flow of credit to MSMEs.
• The agreement was signed by Ashish Singhal (MD, SVC Bank) and Sanjeev Gupta (GM, SIDBI) in Mumbai.
• SIDBI is the Principal Financial Institution for Promotion, Financing and Development of the MSME sector.
Foot Notes: About SIDBI: Founded: 2 April 1990 Headquarters: Lucknow Chairman & MD: Sivasubramanian Ramann
• Assam CM, Himanta Biswa Sarma has launched ‘Mission Bhumiputra’, a digital way to issue digitalised caste certificates to students.
• He has also inaugurated a Bhumiputra Portal at a programme held at Srimanta Sankardev Kalakshetra.
• This initiative was implemented by the Departments of Tribal Affairs (Plain) and Social Justice Empowerment.
• The certificates issued will be available in the digi locker under the IT Act with digital signature of the respective DC.
Foot Notes: About Assam: Capital: Dispur Chief Minister: Himanta Biswa Sarma Governor: Prof Jagdish Mukhi
• To meet the workforce requirements, the Tata Group-owned Air India (AI) has raised the retirement age of pilots to 65.
• Earlier, the age of retirement of AI pilots was 58, but now post- retirement age on a contractual basis for 5 years extendable to 65 years.
• DGCA has also allowed pilots to fly till the age of 65 years.
• According to AI’s new policy, a panel will be constituted to examine the eligibility of pilots retiring in the next two years.
• India’s women team has clinched first ever gold medal in the lawn bowls after defeating South Africa by 17-10 in the finals.
• Women team Lawn bowl include Nayanmoni Saikia, Pinki, Lovely Choubey and Rupa Rani Tirkey.
• Other Highlights of 2022 CWG:
• The India Men’s Table Tennis team clinched a gold medal after defeating Singapore.
• Weightlifter, Vikas Thakur won the silver medal in the men’s 96- kilogram category.
• India’s mixed badminton team settled for a silver medal.
Working to bring significant changes in online-based learning by doing extensive research for course curriculum preparation, student engagements, and looking forward to the flexible education!