• Defence Research and Development Organisation and Indian Navy successfully conducted the flight test of the indigenously-developed Naval Anti-Ship Missile.
• The missile was launched from a Naval Helicopter from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
• It is the first indigenous air launched anti-ship missile system for the Indian Navy.
• Recently, Rajnath Singh has launched two frontline warships of the Indian Navy: INS Surat and INS Udaygiri.
Foot Notes: About DRDO: Headquarters: New Delhi Founded: 1958 Chairman: Dr G. Satheesh Reddy
About Indian Navy: Founded: 26 January 1950 Fighter: MiG-29K Commander-in-Chief: President Ram Nath Kovind Headquarters: New Delhi
• China’s State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi has hosted the meeting of the BRICS Ministers of Foreign Affairs on May 19 through video conference.
• The meeting was attended by: S. Jaishankar (India), Naledi Pandor (South Africa), Carlos Alberto Franco França (Brazil) and Sergey Lavrov (Russia).
• India has handed over the BRICS Chairmanship to China from January 2022.
• Theme 2022: Foster High-Quality BRICS Partnership Usher in a New Era for Global Development
Foot Notes: About China: Currency: comes by two names: the Yuan (CNY) and the people’s renminbi (RMB).Capital: Beijing President: Xi Jinping
About BRICS: Founded: June 2006 Member states and key leaders: Brazil: President Jair Bolsonaro Russia: President Vladimir Putin India: Prime Minister Narendra Modi China (2022 host): President Xi Jinping South Africa: President Cyril Ramaphosa
• Centre for Development of Telematics(C-DOT) has signed an MoU with Vodafone Idea Limited on the occasion of “World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD)”.
• Aim: To help both the organizations leverage each other’s expertise in their respective domains to develop and deploy IoT/M2M solutions in India.
• C-DOT is a telecom R&D organization under the Ministry of Communications, Government of India.
• A conservation biologist and President of the Bengaluru-based Ashoka Trust for Research and Ecology and Environment (ATREE), Dr. Kamal Bawa was elected to the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.
• Election to the 170-year-old Academy is a recognition of the significant contributions to science by its members.
• Dr. Kamal Bawa is also an elected fellow of the Royal Society (London) and the American Philosophical Society.
Foot Notes: About U.S.: Capital: Washington, D.C. President: Joe Biden Currency: United States Dollar
• Eicher Motors Limited (EML), the parent company of Royal Enfield, has appointed B Govindarajan as the motorcycle brand’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
• He had been serving as the Executive Director of Royal Enfield since August 2021 and prior to that, he was the Chief Operating Officer (COO) at the company since 2013.
• He will also serve as a Wholetime Director on the Board of EML.
• He has spent more than 23 years across Royal Enfield and Eicher Motors.
Foot Notes: About Royal Enfield: CEO: B. Govindarajan Headquarters: Chennai Founded: 1955
• The Tamil Nadu government named the Nanjarayan lake as the 17th bird sanctuary in Tiruppur.
• The government also set up an information centre to raise awareness about the bird population in the lake.
• The Nanjarayan Tank also known as Sarkar Periyapalayam Reservoir, is located in Tirupur city near Koolipalayam, Tami Nadu.
• A Detailed Project Report (DPR) will be prepared for setting up another wildlife sanctuary for the endangered Slender Loris in Dindigul and Karur.
Foot Notes: About Tamil Nadu: Governor: R. N. Ravi Capital: Chennai Chief Minister: M. K. Stalin
• Kerala government will launch a state-owned over-the-top (OTT) platform named ‘CSpace’ on November 1.
• Offers: An array of movies, short films and documentaries of their choice.
• This is an initiative of Kerala State Film Development Corporation (KSFDC) on behalf of the state government through video conferencing at a function in Kalabhavan Theatre.
• The films will be streamed on CSpace only after their theatrical release.
Foot Notes: About Kerala: Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan Capital: Thiruvananthapuram Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
• Cameroon activist, Cécile Ndjebet has received the 2022 Wangari Maathai Forest Champions Award in recognition of her contribution to preserving forests and improving the lives of people who depend on them.
• The award has been presented by the Collaborative Partnership on Forests (CPF), which is chaired by the Food and Agriculture Organization.
• This award was established in 2012 in memory of Kenyan environmentalist and Nobel Peace Prize winner Wangari Maathai.
• Eintracht Frankfurt (German club) has won their first European trophy in 42 years after defeating the Rangers by 5-4 on penalties in Seville, Spain.
• Goalkeeper, Kevin Trapp has saved at the end of extra time and another in the shootout to help give Frankfurt the 5-4 win on penalties.
• Rangers (Scottish club) was also trying to win its first European title since the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1972.
• Man of the Match: Kevin Trapp (Eintracht Frankfurt)
• Tesla Inc has been excluded from S&P Dow Jones Indices’ widely watched S&P 500 ESG Index, citing issues such as racial discrimination accusations and crashes tied to its autopilot vehicles, a move that provoked a series of angry tweets from Tesla CEO Elon Musk.
• Tesla’s lack of disclosed details relating to its low-carbon plan or business behaviour norms were also significant factors, according to Margaret Dorn, the organization’s head of ESG indices for North America, in an interview.
Foot Notes: About Tesla:OT Founded: 1 July 2003 CEO: Elon Musk Headquarters: Austin, Texas, United States
Working to bring significant changes in online-based learning by doing extensive research for course curriculum preparation, student engagements, and looking forward to the flexible education!